Monday, May 01, 2006

Artist Date !!

Alright, I know what you are thinking, but let me assure you that is not what you think.

My first day of college, my professor of figure drawing (Michael Jacques) assigned as homework to go on an artist date. What he meant was to designate, out of our busy schedule, atleast an hour to celebrate the beauty of creation. This is a broad idea, that can be interpreted in anyway posible, but for those of us who are busy it is a nice way to slow down and smell the roses if you will. Go to a museum, work in your shop, plant in your garden, play the guitar, be curious like a child, have the desire to learn. Draw, take pictures, read a book, sit at your porch and enjoy the breeze, do what ever you want to do. It is your hour, slow down and have some time with yourself.

It is about idea of exploring.

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing

which ones to keep." Scott Adams

Here are some example of my artist dates.





Drawing.

Always carry a sketchbook. Leonardo once wrote. "You truly don't understand anything until you have drawn it.

Also don't be afraid to make bad drawings. These are not great. Greatness takes years of practice.






Photos.

Taking pictures is both fun and relaxing. If you own a Digital camera. It is always easy to delete the pictures you don't like.

Click here Images these are pictures I took on a weekend.

Go to a Museum.

I love the Getty. I try to go there atleast once of month. My favorite piece is a dutch painting "Shipping in a Calm at Flushing with a States General Yacht Firing a Salute" by Jan van de Cappelle . I move throught the whole museum and this picture always makes me sit and stare. I love the dramatics and harsh angle of the painting, for it is like caos meeting order on a canvas.










Jan van de Cappelle Dutch, 1649 Oil on panel 27 7/16 x 36 5/16 in. 96.PB.7

1 comment:

Mr. Gone said...

great idea. I think that I will try this soon. Just a day with my sketch book. I like it.

Cheers